For Mysore classes, you may begin your practice at any time during the indicated time-slot on the schedule; just make sure to leave enough time at the end for your finishing sequence and relaxation before the class ends.
- Intro to Mysore classes begin punctually at the indicated time on the schedule.
- Leave shoes at the door, we practice bare feet.
- Turn off your cell phone.
- Come to practice on an empty stomach (unless you have a condition that prevents this) and refrain from drinking water during class if possible.
- If you have a health issue (illness, injury, pregnancy) please let us know before the class. Not every pose is appropriate for everyone. If in doubt, always ask.
When menstruating, we encourage you to practise in a way that is balancing and supporting this phase of your cycle. If practising during these days, a gentle approach is advised. For energetic reasons (not obstructing the natural downward-moving Apanic energy-flow during your period), refraining from straining postures that require bandha as well as inverted postures is recommended. However, we do recognize that every woman is different and trust that you are able to make the best choice for yourself. If you are unsure about how and what to practise during your period please ask us.
In a Mysore class you work closely with the teacher to develop your practice. If you are unsure about the sequence, please wait for your teacher to advice you rather than ‘improvising’ or adding postures by yourself.
We advice you to bring your own mat, it’s more hygenic. If you don’t have one you can borrow a mat from us, we also have organic mats for sale. If you borrow one of our mats, please wipe it off with the tea-tree solution provided at the Shala after use.
- Please bring a clean towel for your own comfort during practice and for the teacher to use when adjusting you.
- Always try to make room for arriving students, welcoming your fellow yoga practitioner by adjusting your mat accordingly if necessary.
- We share blocks and belts.
The space along the wall is for everyone to use for back-bends, arm-balances & inversions so we leave this space free. The back of the room is for the Introduction class, so regular Mysore students, please fill the room from the front. If it’s full, wait for the teacher to show you a place.
Be kind and loving to yourself by accepting where you are. Listen carefully to the internal cues that your body is giving you, practicing mindfully and intelligently rather than forcefully and mechanically. Your body will respond beautifully when you show it kindness, acceptance and love.
- No experience or flexibility is needed to practice Yoga. Yoga is for everyone.